Friday, December 31, 2010

Best Movie of 2010

So with 5 million other websites proclaiming who is the best of 2010 I thought I'd throw my dog in the race.  And the winner is....drum roll..........








 IN THE MOUTH OF MADNESS!!!  Hooray.  Honestly my list of 2010 movies I saw were Kick Ass, Shutter Island, Iron Man 2, Jackass 3-D, Inception, Legion, Clash of the Titans (which would have been better titled The Raping of the Clash of the Titans),  Hot Tub Time Machine, The Crazies, Death at Funeral, Babies, and The Expendables.  What should I do?  Should I list a winner without seeing everything?  Should I except my role as a no name blogger and do nothing?  What should I do?  Anyway enough of that.  If I had to pick one from there I guess Inception.  It was decent, though to quote a line from the movie I thought Nolan should have not been afraid to dream a little bigger.  But it was certainly a nice change of pace from most movies today.  Definitely one to see in an altered state.  I'll probably do an upcoming blog about it. 

On to In the Mouth of Madness, this was a brilliant and fun movie that I finally got to see this year.  I went in not expecting anything and was hugely surprised.  Which is the way you should always watch movies.  I had wanted to see this movie ever since it came out for the sole reason that Sam Neil was in it.  I had just gotten over my Jurassic Park hangover and was wanting to see everything the actors that were in that in anything else they did.  I almost saw 3 Wishes when it came out, and I put in a flier for the Jungle Book.  Thankfully I never saw any of those.  But maybe I should knowing what I know now from this movie.  The story wasn't even what I was expecting, from what I remember in the trailers I thought it was about how this guy writes this book, people read it and go crazy for some reason and start murdering people.  The book gains popularity and they release a movie and Sam Neil has to try and stop the movie.  It is somewhat like that but there is a lot more to the story and I really liked where they took it.  This was in the twilight zone of film where special effects were just taking off, they could have used CGI but instead went for the reality of animatronics and rubber suits which worked out well.  I'd hate to see what this movie would look like if it was made in 2005.  Probably the best part of the movie is how Sam Neil carries everything.  It definitely wouldn't have worked without him, and considering how this came out after Jurassic Park in which he could have played his career safe, he went all out for this one. 

Movies from 2009 that were good for 2010:  After settling a whole year after 2009, I can safely say the best movie for me was..Watchmen...Coraline...A Single Man...An Education...Moon.  Umm, let's see:  An Education, mainly because Carey Mulligan was so hot in it or Watchmen.  I think I might have to go with Watchmen.  I read the book in the same year, it wasn't as good as the Dark Knight, but was the only movie of the year that as soon as it ended I wanted to see it again and buy (though I haven't yet).   

Some movies I still want to see from 2010 that will most likely get viewed next year The Kings Speech, Tron, Ghost Writer, Greenberg, Repo Men, Chloe,  Robin Hood, Prince of Persia (GIVE ME THE DAGGER!!), The A-Team, I am Love, Predators, The Kids are Alright, Resident Evil (I'm a sucker for these every time), The Town, Social Network, RED, 127 Hours, True Grit, and Biutiful.  And whatever ones get nominated that I didn't list here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment