Sunday, April 3, 2011

Independence Day and Communism



I'm not talking about the ideals of Soviet Russia, but instead with comparison to the text book form of communism since most historians know that they were for the most part communists in name (and anthem) only.  But what relation could Independence Day have to do with communism?  Maybe nothing, I mean it's a story about a technologically superior alien invader coming to Earth and putting one of their city sized spaceships in countries all over the world in order to destroy the native population and exploit the area for its natural resources for their personal gain, "like locusts" I believe they are referred to as.  Luckily the remaining survivors band together ignoring their religious, social, political, and cultural differences and in many cases sacrificing their individual lives in order to defeat the aliens for the good of all man kind.   But I don't know what that could do with communism or capitalism.  It's not like the President ignored his rank and fought for survival amongst the people.  I wonder what kind of society was formed after they destroyed all of the ships, especially since all of the human's major city and metro areas were in return destroyed. 

This seems a little interesting, just scratching the surface, I think I need to watch it again and take notes.  Maybe I'll explore it further a little later.  

PS  Although it made for a great effects shot I never understood why the aliens decided to destroy the white house first and not position itself over one of the many giant stone structures available, for that matter why the hell wouldn't the president at least move away from the exact center of it I'm sure they had diagrams showing that aspect, maybe check out the Pentagon or something.  Maybe it would have been cooler to see the capital instead and have the wave wreck the white house reversing what was shown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment