Thursday, April 7, 2011

The Kings Speech and Never Let Me Go

I'm going to go back on a couple claims I made some months ago.  A) The Kings Speech looks like the greatest movie ever and B) Never Let Me Go is about robots and takes place in the future.

Starting with the Kings Speech, yes it did look* like the greatest movie ever made, however it was far from it.  I'm not saying it was horrible, it was a good picture, best picture of the year I'm not sure haven't seen everything on my list yet.  I like to think the academy awards best picture to more of the faultless movie, you know great acting, great editing, great directing, great cinematography, the whole package, one that may be not loved by everyone but that can be appreciated on a cinematic scale (although recently I have no idea what is going on).  I don't know how you can award a best picture with such a glaring fault that is Guy Pearce playing Colin Firth's older brother without looking or even in actuality being older than Firth.  What is this amateur hour?  Did they say, we got the costumes, we got the props to the exact time periods, we got the actors, but you know makeup department why don't you take a break, we think Guy Pearce looks great, don't make him look any older.  Other than that I felt they didn't show Firth's/the King's progression in giving speech as well as they could have.  It seemed that he was still having a tough time, and only improved slightly over several years of therapy.  Maybe that's the way it happened but they seemed to slip on a lot of other historical accuracies for sake of story so why not in that case?  The part before the coronation was also weak, really that's all your going to rehearse.  Again, it's a good movie, not the best I think of the year, but something I'd watch half through on TV or something. 

On to Never Let Me Go.  I actually liked it better than the Kings Speech, but it still had its faults, nothing major.  Was it about robots?  Kind of.  Probably a little too sci fi for people's taste since it wasn't marketed as such, only those that read the book really had a clue what it was about going in.  And Carey Mulligan, oh my god, I want to take her out for martini's and slow dancing.  Then throw her up against a book stack like keira knightley in Atonement.  Andrew Garfield is a goofy bastard...we'll see how he does with spider man. 

No comments:

Post a Comment