Wednesday, May 4, 2011

One Day...Americans won't try to do a British Accent

I'm not saying that Hathaway did a horrible job at it.  She's a great actress and it's passable.  The thing is I know she is a American actress, I've heard her voice dozen of times, all I can think when I hear that accent is phoney, and it takes away from the movie.  She could have done an exact replication of an exeter wench and I still wouldn't believe it.  It's slightly different going the other way, mainly because I don't know a lot of the British actors when star in American movies, I'm not that familar with them.  Scoial Network was the first time I saw James Garfield, the accent didn't bother me.  Had I seen Never Let Me Go and Red Riding first I'd say what the fuck.  If it's a comedy then it's okay too since it's already supposed to be stupid. 

But in particular with this movie, why not make Anne Hathaway just an American girl that went to the UK to study and ends up staying for him (or some other guy) and changing her life.  Wouldn't that make for a more interesting story?  I guess since it's based on a book that might be hard.  They should have seen what the author thought.  Since they decided to go with Anne H, maybe she should have a change in mind or be more open.  If it wasn't part of a book shouldn't that be the way to go, instead of having someone do an accent they try to learn from a speech coach over a couple months how about they just what's natural and figure out a way to make it part of the story.   Accents have just such a higher probability to stink why chance it.

No comments:

Post a Comment